N-600 Application for Certificate of Citizenship

What Is the N-600 Application for Certificate of Citizenship? The KC Immigration Lawyers can provide information about this matter and others. Call us today!

2014 Avvo Clients Choice Award
2020 Avvo Client Choice Award
2016 Avvo Clients Choice Immigration Award 222
2016 Avvo Clients Choice Immigration Award 2

What Is N-600 Form?

You are likely aware that immigration is a complex area of the law. Even if you are a United States citizen, you may be required to submit certain forms proving that. For example, in the case of an adopted or a biological child born outside the United States, an Application for Certificate of Citizenship or Form N-600 is required.

By filing Form N-600, you are requesting certified proof that you are a U.S. citizen, even if you were not born in the country. The Certificate of Citizenship is vital if you need a U.S. passport or immigration benefits for your spouse or family.

Here is what to know about Form N-600 application and how Kansas City immigration lawyers can help you.

Eligibility for Citizenship Certificate

There are two distinct eligibility categories for a certificate of citizenship: acquisition and derivation. To be eligible through acquisition, a minor child born outside of the United States should have at least one parent or adoptive parent who is a U.S. citizen.

Applicants must be:

  • Under eighteen
  • A minor child residing in the United States (unless filing an N-600K from outside the US)
  • Under the legal and physical custody of their U.S. citizen parent or legal guardian

You are eligible for derived citizenship if your parents become naturalized citizens before you reach the age of 18 years. This may occur if one or both of your parents were lawful permanent residents or green card holders when you were born and are now citizens of the United States.

Who May Not Submit Form N-600?

Some individuals are ineligible for Form N-600. Applicants who fall into any of the following categories should not apply:

  • You are not the adopted child or biological child of a mother or father who is a U.S. citizen.
  • You are a child of U.S. military members or government employees under the Citizenship for Children of Military Members and Civil Servants Act.
  • You were born on American soil, so your United States birth certificate indicates your citizenship. (Note that in the case of IR-4 adoptions, the USCIS systems will not be updated with a child’s citizenship status unless the family obtains a Certificate of Citizenship.)
  • You were naturalized as an American citizen, so your naturalization certificate is your evidence of citizenship.
  • You currently reside overseas. You should instead file a CRBA (Consular Record of Birth Abroad) or apply for a passport via the United States Department of State.
  • The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (U.S.C.I.S.) has already granted you a naturalization certificate. Fill out Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document, if you lost the certificate and need to replace it.
  • You are an applicant for U.S. citizenship via naturalization as a permanent resident. Use Form N-400, which is formally titled “Application for Naturalization.”
  • You had already submitted Form N-600, and the USCIS office had already rendered a determination. (Note that you could re-file if you became a US citizen through adoption/re-adoption, but you’d also need to have a registration of adoption form.)

If you are still determining whether you meet the eligibility requirements to submit a Form N-600 application for a certificate of citizenship, you can contact the USCIS office or retain legal services.

How to Fill Out N-600 Form

You may file electronically or by mail. Online filing is easy; you only need to create an account with U.S.C.I.S. and follow the instructions. Form N-600 is also available in PDF format, which you can print and submit.

You should only type or print responses in black ink. Make sure to enter “N/A” if a response is irrelevant and “NONE” if the answer is zero. Select your Certificate of Citizenship eligibility under Information About Your Eligibility.

Information Is Included in the N-600 Application

Complete the Information About You section and carefully describe how you entered the U.S. This may reveal your U.S. citizenship date. If you were adopted, you should state the final adoption dates. Form N-600 will request identifying information, such as your:

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Social Security number
  • Alien registration number (A-number)

You must specify whether you are a legal permanent resident, a non-immigrant, a refugee, or an asylum seeker. Additionally, you must provide accurate information about your parents and prove that you are physically present in the country.

Supporting Documents

If an original document is not expressly needed, provide photocopies of all supporting documents. You may send the following supporting papers with your Form N-600:

  • Two 2-inch by 2-inch passport-style photos
  • Your birth certificate
  • The U.S. citizen parent’s birth certificate or evidence of your parent’s nationality
  • Proof of your parent’s actual presence or residency in the United States
  • Your parent’s United States marriage license
  • If relevant, documentation of your U.S. citizen parent’s previous divorces or annulments
  • Documentation of legitimacy for children born outside of wedlock may require the advice of a K1 visa lawyer.
  • If your parents are legally separated or divorced, or if you were adopted, you must provide proof of legal custody.
  • Evidence of actual possession, such as tax filings or medical records
  • The original copy of your green card or other proof of permanent resident status

In some cases, a complete, final adoption decree and documentation of all legal name changes may be required. Be sure to include a completed English-certified translation with any foreign language document.

N-600 Form Instructions to Sign and Submit

USCIS only accepts applications that are properly signed and filed. USCIS does not accept typewritten or stamped signatures on their applications. Additionally, your application must be signed in black ink and include an email address and phone number that can be reached.

A parent or legal guardian can sign the application on your behalf if you are under the age of 14. The legal guardian of a mentally disabled person can also sign on their behalf.

If you physically completed Form N-600, sign as the “applicant.” If someone else translated or otherwise helped prepare the application, you need to fill out and sign Parts 9 and 10.

When filing by mail, print and sign Form N-600, attach all supporting documents and submit your application to USCIS at one of the given mailing addresses. If you still need help, you may need a green card lawyer to help you with the full details.

If your papers are not in English, you will need to have them translated. You may provide the original document, the translation, and an affidavit from a translator attesting to the correctness of the translation.

How Much Does Filing Form N-600 Cost?

Although there is a substantial filing fee for Form N-600, you may get a fee waiver if you are a war veteran or a member of the U.S. armed forces. Otherwise, you can pay your filing fee with a credit card, personal check, money order, or cashier’s check to the Department of Homeland Security.

How Long Does It Take to Process Form N-600?

For most applicants who file form N-600, the processing times may range between 8 and 14 months and includes an in-person interview. A solid application is optimal to ensure a smooth procedure and speedy processing time.

Can an Attorney Help You Apply for a Certificate of Citizenship?

Obtaining a citizenship certificate may be difficult, but consulting an experienced citizen lawyer can simplify the process.

KC Immigration Lawyers may be able to assist you with your citizenship certificate. Our experienced attorneys will guide you through the application process and prepare and submit your application to the government.

For help realizing your American dream or tackling other immigration matters, contact KC Immigration Lawyers for a free consultation today!