- Naturalization: This path requires that the person has been a lawful permanent resident for five years, is 18 or older, speaks English, and passes a civics test.
- Parents: A child born in the United States automatically gains citizenship if at least one parent is a citizen or permanent resident. Foreign-born adopted children are also entitled to U.S. citizenship.
- Marriage: When you are married to a U.S. citizen, you may be eligible for a Green Card and then naturalize to become a citizen after three years through naturalization.
- Military service: U.S. army veterans can also become citizens by naturalization if they have served honorably in the armed forces.
Consulting with citizenship lawyers can make the process of obtaining lawful permanent residence easier.
Is the Citizenship Process Costly in the U.S.?
To become United States citizens, individuals may have to pay the following fees:
- Application fee for an individual or a sponsoring organization
- Biometrics and fingerprinting fee
- Legal fees
Applying for citizenship comes with various immigration issues. A local law firm of citizenship attorneys can help you with the citizenship process.
Applying for U.S. citizenship can be confusing and overwhelming. To overcome this, finding a lawyer who can help you through the process is vital.
Verifying that the immigration lawyer is certified by the American Bar Association can help you ensure they have met the qualifications needed to practice immigration law in Missouri.
Citizenship lawyers can help you:
- Determine your green card or citizenship eligibility
- Gather and file the required documentation for your citizenship application
- Prepare for your citizenship interview and civics test
- Represent you in court
- Appeal a rejection
- Advocate for your eligibility even if you have a criminal conviction
Citizenship lawyers can make the difference between an approved application and one that is rejected. Contact KC Immigration Lawyers now to book your free consultation and learn more about the citizenship and immigration services we offer.