K1 Visa Lawyer: KC Immigration Lawyers

If you are unsure how to proceed with your immigration process, KC Immigration Lawyers can help with your K1 Fiancé Visa application. Get started.

2014 Avvo Clients Choice Award
2020 Avvo Client Choice Award
2016 Avvo Clients Choice Immigration Award 222
2016 Avvo Clients Choice Immigration Award 2

What Is a K-1 Visa Service?

Developing a solid attorney-client relationship with a reputable immigration attorney can make the fiancé visa process progress more smoothly. A K-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows a U.S. citizen to bring their foreign citizen fiancé to the United States. A K-2 visa is for minor unmarried children under the age of 21.

About a K-1 Visa

A K-1 visa is issued to a fiancé or fiancée of a US citizen who wants to enter the country. Upon entering the U.S., a foreigner must marry their U.S. citizen petitioner within 90 days or leave the country.

The foreign fiancé must prove that they are legally able and willing to marry a United States citizen within 90 days of their entry into the United States. They must also show that they have met in person at least once during two years before filing for a K-1 visa.

It is important to note that with this visa type, it is impossible to work or study in America without employment authorization from USCIS.

A dedicated immigration lawyer can assist K-1 visa applicants throughout their journey to become legal permanent residents. Call KC Immigration Lawyers today!

Cost of a K-1 Visa

The cost of a K-1 visa is $265. It can be paid online or at the U.S. Consulate.

There are also other fees that an applicant has to pay, like the I-94 processing fee, which is $6, and the biometric fee, which is $85.

An immigration attorney can provide additional information and provide you with an estimate of their service fees. 

At KC Immigration Lawyers, our fees depend on your location, the complexity of your case, and our lawyers’ experience level. Contact us today to schedule a consulation.

What Is the K-1 Visa Process?

The K-1 fiance visa process begins when one party files an I-129F petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The USCIS service center then validates the relationship and investigates whether it is genuine.

More precisely, the U.S. citizen sponsoring their foreign fiancé or fiancée has to submit the I-129F visa petition, also called Petition for Alien Fiancé, to the closest USCIS field office. Bear in mind that both the petitioner as well as the foreign national fiancé must submit quite a bit of document to support their petition, such as:

  • Birth certificates
  • Previous marriages
  • Marriage licenses
  • Divorce decrees
  • Death certificates

These documents prove the petitioner’s U.S. citizenship and that any prior marriages have ended. They will both need two passport-style photos, statements of their intent to marry, documentation proving their wedding plans, and evidence of their ongoing relationship.

If the USCIS approves the fiancé visa petition, it is transferred to the National Visa Center (NVC) for further processing and approval. The NVC will assign it a case number and send it to the U.S. consulate or embassy in the home country of the foreign fiancé.

They will provide the fiance visa applicant with further instructions on where to go for the medical examination and when to appear for a visa interview. All applicants must appear for a visa interview where the consular officer will try to verify their intentions and relationship.

This is a delicate process, and consulting an experienced immigration attorney can be beneficial to your case. 

Is a K-1 Visa Attorney Worth It?

A K-1 visa attorney is worth it if you are not confident in your own knowledge of the K-1 visa process. These attorneys are knowledgeable in all aspects of the K-1 visa process and can ensure that you don’t miss any steps.

K-1 visa lawyers can help you:

  • Gather and file the required documentation for your visa application
  • Follow up your application with the USCIS or consulate where you applied
  • Represent you in immigration court
  • Appeal a rejection

The most important aspect of a K-1 visa attorney is their knowledge of the law. They know what to do when something goes wrong and how to avoid it from happening in the first place. They also know how to overcome legal hurdles, which can significantly help those struggling with the petition process.

Contact KC Immigration Lawyers now to book your free consultation and start your K-1 petition.

Frequently Asked Questions

How Much Does It Cost to Sponsor a K-1 Visa?

The cost of being a citizen sponsor or co-sponsor for a K-1 visa varies depending on the person’s situation. Some factors that might affect the total cost are:

  • Length of time that the person is planning to live in the United States
  • Whether they have any dependents
  • If they already have a green card or another visa

A knowledgeable law firm with experience handling immigration law can help you weigh your options and avoid costly mistakes in the petition process.

Do K-1 Visas Ever Get Denied?

Yes. It depends on whether or not the alien fiancé can verify that they are legitimately engaged to be married to a qualified individual.

K-1 Visas are often sought after by those in cultures where marriages are traditionally arranged. They allow a foreign national to come to the U.S. and marry their fiancé within 90 days of arrival, after which they can apply for legal permanent resident status, according to the American Immigration Council.

What Should You Do If Your K-1 Visa Application Is Denied?

An application for a K-1 visa can be denied if it does not meet all of the requirements, is incomplete, or has any other issues with the application process. If your K-1 visa application is denied, you will receive a written notification from USCIS stating why your case was rejected and what steps you need to take next.

Retaining the services of an experienced law firm can help a citizen petitioner navigate the complicated immigration process.