IR6 Green Card

Do you want to apply for the IR6 Green Card? KC Immigration Lawyers can take you through the application process. Call us for more guidance.

2014 Avvo Clients Choice Award
2020 Avvo Client Choice Award
2016 Avvo Clients Choice Immigration Award 222
2016 Avvo Clients Choice Immigration Award 2

What Is the IR6 Green Card?

IR6 is a marriage-based green card. Just like other immediate relative green card categories, the IR6 does not have numerical limitations or visa backlogs. Spouses of U.S. citizens can obtain their IR6 green card without delay.

Moreover, IR6 holders can apply for citizenship after three years from obtaining the lawful permanent resident status if they are still married to a U.S. citizen. In contrast, other green card holders must wait for an additional two years.

Are you married to a U.S. citizen and believe you qualify for the IR6 green card? K.C. Immigration Lawyers can help you determine your eligibility and start the application process. We understand how complex and overwhelming the immigration law can be, and we work tirelessly to help people across the U.S. navigate it.

IR6 Green Card Eligibility Criteria

To qualify for the IR6 green card, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You are legally married to a U.S. citizen.
  • Your marriage is bona fide.
  • You have been married for two years or more at the time of your green card approval.
  • You are eligible for permanent residency.

In addition to meeting these requirements, you must complete and sign form I-130A, Supplemental Information for Spouse Beneficiary. Your citizen spouse must file this form along with form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

What Is the IR6 Green Card Application Process?

Applying for an IR6 green card may be one of the easiest ways to obtain lawful permanent residence status in the U.S., but it is not easy. You may need the assistance of an attorney to help you with the paperwork.

Here’s how the application process for the IR6 green card goes:

Step 1: Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements for the IR6 green card.

Step 2: The petitioning spouse files Form I-130 on your behalf. This form establishes the relationship between you and the petitioner. Along with Form I-130, your spouse must submit supporting documents such as Form I-130A, marriage certificates, evidence of the bona fide marital relationship, proof of U.S. citizenship, and any other required documentation.

Step 3: The USCIS reviews the submitted petition and supporting documents and may request additional evidence or schedule an interview if necessary.

Step 4: File Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, with the USCIS if you are inside the U.S. Because you are already in the U.S., you can file this form at the same time (concurrently) as your spouse files form I-130. You can also wait until after the petition is approved.

Step 5: You will receive a notice for the biometrics appointment at the USCIS center where you live. For example, if you reside in Kansas City, your appointment will be scheduled with the USCIS in Kansas City. A USCIS officer will take your fingerprints, photographs, and other biographical information.

Step 6: You will be scheduled for an interview with the USCIS. A USCIS officer will ask questions about yourself and the information you included in your application. Your U.S. citizen spouse doesn’t have to attend the interview, but it might help prove the authenticity of your relationship. You can check your case status online.

Step 7: If the USCIS approves your application, you will receive an approval notice and your permanent resident card.

If your application is denied, you may be able to appeal the USCIS decision or file a motion to reconsider, but the process can be arduous and does not always produce a positive outcome. Working with your Green Card lawyer may be your best option to avoid denial.

The Naturalization Process for IR6 Green Card Holders

Under Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), marriage-based green card holders can apply for naturalization three years after USCIS issues their green card. Here’s how to obtain U.S citizenship as an IR6 green card holder:

  • Check your eligibility

You can find the naturalization requirements for spouses of U.S. citizens on the USCIS website or use the naturalization eligibility tool.

  • File Form N-400

Fill out Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. This step is crucial, and you may need an experienced attorney’s help to do it properly.

  • Submit supporting documents

Gather your supporting documents to accompany your Form N-400. These include a copy of your green card, evidence of continuous residence, proof of marriage, tax returns, and any other documents specified in the instructions.

  • Attend the biometrics appointment

You will receive a notice of a biometrics appointment where you’ll provide your fingerprints, photograph, and signature to be used for background checks.

  • Attend the naturalization interview

After your application is processed, you will be scheduled for an interview with a USCIS officer. The interview will assess your eligibility, review your application, and test your English, U.S. history, and civics knowledge.

  • Take the oath of allegiance

If you receive approval, you’ll be notified of the date and location of your oath of allegiance ceremony. In the ceremony, you will turn in your permanent residence card, take the oath of allegiance, and receive your Certificate of Naturalization.

We Can Help You Obtain an IR6 Green Card

As a spouse of a U.S. citizen, you have the right to adjust your status and become a Lawful permanent resident. Experienced and conscientious attorneys at Kansas City Immigration Lawyers are available to help you determine your eligibility and walk you through the application process.

We are an award-winning law firm with a proven track record in serving clients across the U.S. Our mission is to facilitate the U.S. immigration process for all families around the world.

Contact us today for a free consultation!

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I Travel Outside of the U.S. With an IR6 Green Card?

Yes, as a Green Card holder, you can travel freely in and out of the United States. However, you shouldn’t leave the U.S. for over a year without a re-entry permit in order to maintain your permanent resident status. It is also very risky to stay outside the United States for more than 180 consecutive days on one trip.

What Is the Difference Between an IR6 and an IR1 Green Card?

Both IR6 and IR1 are immigrant visa categories that allow spouses of U.S. citizens to obtain lawful permanent residency, but they are not the same. IR1 green card applicants must be spouses of U.S. citizens who reside outside the U.S. to qualify. However, the IR6 is for spouses who are already in the U.S. on a valid temporary visa, such as a work or student visa.

Is IR6 the Same as CR6 green card?

The IR6 is not the same as CR6 green card. IR6 is a permanent green card that applies to spouses of U.S. citizens who’ve been married for more than two years. It is valid for ten years and renewable. However, CR6, Conditional Residency 6, is a conditional permanent residency. It is used by spouses of U.S. citizens who have been married for less than two years.