The Green Card Replacement Process Explained

When you need a Green Card Replacement, you need it as soon as possible! Skilled attorneys could help you through the process. Call KC Immigration Lawyers!

2014 Avvo Clients Choice Award
2020 Avvo Client Choice Award
2016 Avvo Clients Choice Immigration Award 222
2016 Avvo Clients Choice Immigration Award 2

Green Card Replacement

A green card, or permanent resident card, serves as proof of a person’s lawful permanent resident status in the United States.

Like other important documents, you could lose your green card, it might expire, or you might wear it out over time. Learn how to replace your green card if you’re a permanent resident with an expired green card or your green card has been lost or stolen.


How to Replace a Green Card

A green card holder whose green card expires, is lost, or stolen needs to get a replacement card as soon as possible. The process begins with a formal application to the U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). A summary of the required steps is as follows:

    • Fill out Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card
    • Review the form and sign
    • Submit your form and required documents
    • Pay the green card replacement fee

    While your application is pending, your Form I-90 receipt notice can be used as temporary evidence of your immigration status until you receive your new card.

    If your green card replacement request is accepted, the USCIS will send an acceptance notification through mail.


    How Hard Is It To Get A Replacement Green Card?

    Replacing your lost or stolen green card while in the U.S. is easy. You can file your green card replacement application online through the USCIS website or the mail.

    The process could be more complicated if your card is lost or stolen when you are outside the U.S. You may need to lodge a report to the nearest police department and then reach out to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for further instructions. Working with a green card lawyer in such an instance can make the process faster and less stressful.

      How Long Does it Take to Get a Replacement Green Card?

      The duration of a green card replacement can only be determined by the USCIS. However, applicants are advised by the USCIS to check their status 72 hours after filing form I-90 via their website. Once your application is approved, the USCIS will send your new card to you by mail.

      Note that errors in your application or an incomplete application could delay the green card replacement process. To avoid such hold-ups, it is essential that you complete the relevant forms accurately and fulfil all the requirements. If the process gets too complicated, you get help from Kansas City Immigration Lawyers.


      How an Immigration Attorney Can Help

      As with any other immigration process, replacing your green card involves paperwork that could prove tricky for many people. Getting an experienced immigration lawyer to help you can help to simplify the process and reduce the likelihood of errors in your application.

      At KC Immigration Lawyers, we can provide further information about the green card replacement process specific to your unique case. If you I-90 application is denied, we can file an appeal on your behalf and represent you..

      We have a track record of success with immigration cases, including DACA requests, spousal visa applications by our K1 visa lawyer, and acquiring US citizenship. Contact us today for your legal immigration needs; we’d love to help.